Sunday, July 22, 2007

Well-Mannered Frivolity!

In recognition of the long awaited release of the seventh and final Harry Potter book I decided to pay tribute through blog. Last Saturday night, at 11:00 pm, my brother Clark and I joined the many Harry Potter fans at the U of U bookstore to receive our copy of the long anticipated book. We decided to take advantage of this opportunity to wear our Harry Potter outfits for what may possibly be the last time. Me in my Professor Trewlany glasses and Clark in his wizarding robes (he was crushed that he couldn't find his "Magical Me" book as a tribute to Professor Lockhart).

The Harry Potter Party at the bookstore was fantastic!! As soon as we walked in the door we were all sorted. I was sorted into the Ravenclaw house which we all know are known for their intellect (rightly sorted I believe). Then we received 5 galleons to spend on various activities such as wand making, butterbeer and Bertie Botts every flavor beans at the Hogshead Tavern, quidditch, face painting, Weasly's Wizard Wheezes, ect.

Brett, Aaron, Me, Clark and Steve.. all proud owners of the last Harry Potter book!

Some people couldn't wait to get home before they started reading. Steve read as he was driving us back to his apartment. I even read the entire first chapter out loud to Clark as he drove us home.

What you cannot see here is Brett because he is under the invisibility cloak!

Now I would like to take a moment to share some personal thoughts on the last and final Harry Potter book. I have to be honest here and say that I was a little disappointed. Not only because she killed off one of my
favorite characters but because the epilogue was incredibly chessy. Some may disagree but it kind of ruined the book for me. After giving it some more thought I have concluded that probably the main reason I was disappointed was because now the mystery and intrigue is over. There is nothing left to look forward to, nothing to try and figure out. This last book was bittersweet. I have enjoyed the fantasy that was Harry Potter. I guess I will just have to get on with my own life but what fun is reality?

6 comments:

Lesli Joe said...

Harry Potter, Harry Potter, oooh! Harry Potter, Harry Potter, yeah!
Alina Diaz, oops I mean, Harry Potter, that's me!

I'm jealous I didn't get to go and partake in the frivolity. But, I didn't have any Harry Potter costume to wear anyways.

Clark said...

You totally could have worn the invisibility cloak. No one dare wear it at the store. BTW, i am almost become a Harry Potter Policeman. If people plan to read it but still haven't gotten around to it, i am very tempted to drop spoilers just to serve them right for not reading it yet. I haven't decided how to punish those who don't care to read Harry Potter.

Camie said...

I just started reading book #1. I've seen all of the movies, but I wasn't interested in the books until now. I feel so behind...story of my life. I've got to get moving so I can catch up with the rest of the world.

Queen of Hearts said...

You and your brother are the cutest! I love the invisibility cloak and think you have given the book a spot on review. My feelings exactly.

It"s me said...

You just make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

I told you Harry would have to choose to die!! OK, so he came back, but still...I was right! I am so glad that there are other HP nerds out there! I loved the book and had such fun reading it. I couldn't wait!! But I agree with you on how sad it is that now we know the ending and have to get back into reality. That is so boring. Well....there's always the HP theme park opening up in 2009. We need to plan a trip!
--Christi